Main Logo for Providence College

The Basics

What is the role of the Center for Global Education?

The Providence College Center for Global Education (CGE) works with study abroad students, exchange students, and degree-seeking international students.

For study abroad students, the CGE offers support before, during, and after the study abroad experience. We are your first point-of-contact in the study abroad process and we grant College approval for students to study abroad. We provide information sessions, programming, and in-person advising on program selection. We also help with  the application process, study abroad costs, course selection, and more!

When can I study abroad?

You may study abroad during the academic year or the summer. Students can spend a semester or year abroad during their Junior year or the fall semester abroad during Senior year. However, some majors may not be able to study abroad Senior Fall due to course requirements. Students also may study abroad any summer after Freshman year.  The College reserves the right to restrict the numbers of students approved to study abroad in any one semester. This is done in order to balance the number of students intending to study abroad across the academic year.

Are there any majors that won’t allow me to study abroad?

No!  All majors can study abroad.  Some majors may have less flexibility than others, but with some planning, anyone can study abroad, regardless of major.  Start planning especially early if you have a major in any of the STEM fields!

Where can I study abroad?

Providence College currently recognizes over 350 programs in more than 50 countries, where you can study a vast array of subjects. View the complete list of study abroad programs!

Some majors are required to select a program from their major-recognized list. Additionally, some majors are strongly encouraged to select a program from their major recognized list. See the major-approved program lists to find out more.

PC observes U.S. State Department Travel Advisories and CDC Travel Health Warnings. Approved programs take place in countries where a level one or two U.S. State Department Travel Advisory has been issued. PC will not approve programs that take place in countries for which a CDC Travel Health Warning has been issued. To read more about PC’s Travel and Study Abroad Safety Policy, click here.

Do I have to be fluent in a foreign language to study abroad?

Some programs do have a language requirement. However, there are programs in non-English speaking countries where students with no language background can take courses in English. Students typically are required to take at least three credits of the host country’s language while abroad. Be sure to check your program’s eligibility requirements before applying.

What is a study abroad program provider and what do they do?

A study abroad program provider is an organization that administers all aspects of the in-country study abroad experience. Most of the PC Recognized Programs are offered through program providers.

Your provider will assist you with program-specific details. This includes your housing selection, course registration, visa application, on-site orientation, and transcript evaluation.

Do I need a passport to study abroad?

Yes, you will need to have a passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after the end date of your abroad program. If you do not have a valid passport, then you should apply for/renew your passport as soon as possible. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for more information on obtaining a passport.

Do I need a visa to study abroad?

It depends! Most students need to apply for a visa in order to legally live and study in their host country. However, some countries do not require a visa for American students. Other countries your visa is obtained during entry or post-arrival. Your program will provide you with details on the visa requirements for your country.

Will my cell phone work abroad?

If you plan to use your cell phone abroad, determine what type of functionality you would like to have. One option is to only use Wi-Fi abroad. Applications such as WhatsApp, Skype, and Google Hangouts will all work with a Wi-Fi connection. You will need to learn how to turn off your mobile network so that you only use Wi-Fi. It is important to note that Wi-Fi may not be as fast, reliable, or available as in the U.S.

Another option is to purchase an international plan with your cell phone carrier before you leave. International plans vary in cost and coverage. Generally, they allow you to use text messaging, data, and calling at a fixed rate. You should speak with your cell phone carrier about the types of international plans they offer. This option will likely be the most expensive.

Or, you may wish to consider buying an inexpensive pay-as-you-go cell phone once you arrive in your host country. In most countries there is no charge to receive texts or phone calls – not even those coming from the U.S.! Often, the most cost effective option is to have two phones abroad. Students can purchase basic pay-as-you-go phones on site and use American smartphones exclusively on wi-fi. In some cases, your provider may even offer a basic in-country phone. This phone may be free of charge, and you only pay for the texts/calls you make.

What is my status at PC when I study abroad?

You remain registered as a full-time student at Providence College while on study abroad.

Can’t I just take a leave of absence and get transfer credit when I come back from studying abroad?

No. Students can only receive PC academic credit for study abroad if they receive official Providence College approval. This is obtained by applying through the Center for Global Education. No academic credit is approved or awarded otherwise. Additionally, students would lose their status as fully enrolled at PC if they take courses during a leave of absence. They would then have to apply for re-admission through the Dean of Undergraduate & Graduate Studies.

How can I meet with a study abroad advisor?

You may schedule a study abroad advising appointment by calling 401-865-2114. You may also visit the Harkins 215 during designated walk-in advising hours. These are held every Tuesday and Wednesday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Students are are seen on a first-come, first-served basis.

Students with majors in the School of Arts and Sciences or the School of Professional Studies meet with Denise Miller. Students with a major in the School of Business will meet with Grace Cleary.